[su_dropcap style=”default” size=”3″ class=””]L[/su_dropcap]et’s get right to it! Here are napnook’s top 10 facts about our favorite animal in the kingdom: the hippopotamus.
Here are a few interesting facts that make the hippo such an awesome mammal:
- The name “hippopotamus” comes from the ancient Greek for “river horse”.
- Hippos are big…very big. In fact, they are the third-largest type of land mammal by weight, behind rhinos and elephants
- The semiaquatic hippo is known for their barrel-shaped torso, wide-opening mouth with large canine tusk, nearly hairless bodies, columnar-like legs and large size. But, don’t be fooled, hippos (clocked at 19 MPH) can easily outrun a human!
- A group of hippos is called a “bloat.”
- These water dwellers can be territorial, however they love to huddle closely together, especially while napping!
- Hippos have been popularized in several cartoons including Disney’s Fantasia and the inspired board game Hungry Hungry Hippos.
- An adult hippo is not a particularly good swimmer nor can it float, which is why they are typically found in shallow waters.
- Hippos are some of the most sleepiest animals on earth, spending on average 10 hours each day slumbering.
- An adult Hippo needs to resurface every 3 – 5mins to breathe. The process of surfacing and breathing is automatic, and even a hippo sleeping underwater will rise and breathe without waking.
- Hippos are famous for their wide mouth yawns. But, don’t be fooled, this is not a sign of fatigue; rather it’s a warning to trespassers to back away.
Hippos are so awesome, right?! Click here to find out the name of our napnook hippo.
[su_divider divider_color=”#5fc7ae” link_color=”#5fc7ae”]